Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rand

I think the message that Rand is trying to give is that racial discrimination is a terrible thing and that a person should not be judged on their ancestry. In the beginning of the essay Rand talks a lot about the racial discrimination against blacks. She states that no one race should have more superiority to others. A quote from the essay is "A genius is a genius, regardless of the number of morons who belong to the same race- and a moron is a moron, regardless of the number of geniuses who share his racial origin." I think the quote is really powerful because it shows that someone should be judged because of the way other their people in their race act. A very intelligent black man should not be denied a job because of his race. Another point Rand brings up is about children and the schools they go to. Rands says it is "pure racism" to make children go to a certain school so that the school can meet the "racial balance". Now because of that children are being treated unfairly.

Overall, I thought this essay was interesting to read. I think Rand had a lot of strong points in the beginning. However, toward the end of the piece I was a little confused on what Rand was fighting for. I feel like a lot of the end wasn't supported very well. I thought it was strange how Rand talked about how evil doctrines and can not be forbidden by law. I really liked hearing from a woman's point of view about racial discrimination in 1964.

No comments:

Post a Comment